Professor of Qur’anic exegesis, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main
Resident at the Forschungskolleg Humanwissenschaften:2021–2025 (Goethe Fellow)
Research topic at the Forschungskolleg Humanwissenschaften:»Reconstructing the Dynamics of the Emergence and Formation of Islam«
The beginnings of Islam have been intensively researched in orientalist Islamic studies, especially in connection with local traditions and intertexts. In this context, valuable contributions have already been made through the evaluation of sources that are not entirely attributable to Islamic scripture. On the other hand, there has been no systematic and comprehensive analysis of early Islamic traditions. As a result, references in this material to the lived reality in the context of the origin of the Qur'an and Islam remain unconsidered. To fill this gap, the AIWG-funded project »Linked Open Tafsīr« has been taking place in Frankfurt since 2018 under my leadership. Within the framework of the Goethe Fellowship, the data collected in the project »Linked Open Tafsīr« will be related to the previous results of critical research on the Qur'an and Islam and reflected upon together with the relevant international scientific community in order to make them fruitful for a more precise reconstruction of the dynamics of the emergence and formation of Islam. (Ömer Özsoy)
Scholarly profile of Ömer Özsoy Ömer Özsoy has been a professor of Qur’anic exegesis at the Department of Linguistics and Cultural Studies at Goethe University in Frankfurt am Main since 2009, and is also the director of the University’s Institute for Studies in the Culture and Religion of Islam. After studying theology, he received his doctorate from Ankara University in 1991 and taught there as a professor of Qur’anic exegesis at the Faculty of Theology from 2004 to 2006. In his historical-critical research that considers all historical sources from the time of Islam's origin, he explores the questions of how Islam came into being in the 7th century and how it has been perpetuated in subsequent centuries.
Please find more information about Ömer Özsoy here.
Main areas of research:Genesis, exegesis and hermeneutics of the Qur’an and Qur’anic interpretation; revelation and history, historicity of the Qur’an; contemporary Muslim thought (Islam and modernity)
- (ed. with F. Körner and S. Kurnaz) Identitäten und Kulturen – Kontexte im Konflikt. Jerusalemer Religionsgespräche, Herder: Freiburg im Breisgau 2021.
- »Islamische Theologie als Wissenschaft. Funktionen, Methoden, Argumentationen – eine Frankfurter Perspektive«, in: Zwischen Glaube und Wissenschaft. Theologie in Christentum und Islam, ed. by M. Gharaibeh, E. Begic, H. Schmid, C. Ströbele, Friedrich Pustet: Regensburg 2015, p. 56-68.
- »Pioniere der historischen Koranhermeneutik«, in: Historizität und Transzendenz im Islam. Geschichte, Recht und Offenbarung, ed. by J. Benabdeljelil, EB Verlag: Berlin 2017, p. 23-45.
- »Das Unbehagen der Koranexegese: Den Koran in anderen Zeiten zum Sprechen bringen«, in: Frankfurter Zeitschrift für islamisch-theologische Studien, No. 1 (2014), p. 29-68.
- (ed. with Ayse Basol) Geschichtsschreibung zum Frühislam – Quellenkritik und Rekonstruktion der Anfänge, EB Verlag: Berlin 2014.
- (ed. with M. Rohe, H. Engin, M. Khorchide and H. Schmid) Handbuch Christentum und Islam in Deutschland – Grundlagen, Erfahrungen und Perspektiven des Zusammenlebens, 2 volumes, Herder: Freiburg, Basel, Wien 2014.
- (ed. with S. Heine, C. Schwöbel and A. Takim) Christen und Muslime im Gespräch – Eine Verständigung über Kernthemen der Theologie. Gütersloher: München 2014.
Cookies are short reports that are sent and stored on the hard drive of the user's computer through your browser when it connects to a web. Cookies can be used to collect and store user data while connected to provide you the requested services and sometimes tend not to keep. Cookies can be themselves or others.
There are several types of cookies:
- Technical cookies that facilitate user navigation and use of the various options or services offered by the web as identify the session, allow access to certain areas, facilitate orders, purchases, filling out forms, registration, security, facilitating functionalities (videos, social networks, etc..).
- Customization cookies that allow users to access services according to their preferences (language, browser, configuration, etc..).
- Analytical cookies which allow anonymous analysis of the behavior of web users and allow to measure user activity and develop navigation profiles in order to improve the websites.
So when you access our website, in compliance with Article 22 of Law 34/2002 of the Information Society Services, in the analytical cookies treatment, we have requested your consent to their use. All of this is to improve our services. We use Google Analytics to collect anonymous statistical information such as the number of visitors to our site. Cookies added by Google Analytics are governed by the privacy policies of Google Analytics. If you want you can disable cookies from Google Analytics.
However, please note that you can enable or disable cookies by following the instructions of your browser.